This congregation, first formed in 1824, was called Rushville Station and consisted of small groups who met to study. There were occasional visits from the circuit riders, Rev. James Havens or Rev Thomas Rice. In 1830, a log church was build, followed by a brick structure in 1850, and today’s building St. Paul’s Church building in 1887.
In 1968, the name of the church was changed from St. Paul’s Methodist Church to its present name St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, following the national merger with the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1990, the local community completed that merger when the Faith United Methodist Church, formerly E.U.B. joined St. Paul’s congregation.
The Department of Natural Resources placed the St. Paul’s United Methodist Church building placed on the National register of Historic places in December 15, 1997. Since it is the oldest religious structure in the city, this designation makes the building more historically valuable.
During the 1920s, the Ladies Aid Society made over $4,000 by serving suppers. Their purpose was to help pay for the construction of the current basement. They were so successful that a cookbook of their recipes was published in 1924 and in 1929. One called “Ye Hostess Friend” which included table settings and manners was written and sold. In 1980 and 1998 other cookbooks were published and the newest released cookbook, Heavenly Pleasures was published in 2010. Renovations in the mid 1990s included interior updates, cleaning and releading all the stained glass windows; installing outside clear protective shields; and painting the trim brown instead of white; assuring that it will be an attractive and desirable place to worship well into the future.
Membership of St. Paul’s represents a diverse cross section of the city and county as well as a wide range of age groups and professions. Sunday morning worship and the variety of programs and social activities which are offered encourage full participation of all members and visitors.